Thursday, April 28, 2011

Feasting With The Prophets V

Week #5: Lorenzo Snow




Favorite Dessert: Yorkshire Pudding

Apparently, the writers of the news article didn't seem to think it was a problem to list Yorkshire Pudding as a dessert. Neither did I, until I realized:






Yep, that's roast beef and gravy. Not a dessert.






So I looked ahead at some of the other prophets, and things like oyster stew and boiled wheat (what the) are popping up everywhere. To keep the dessert train going, we'll be replacing those weeks with fun alternatives.




This week, we were watching Julia Child making a crazy chocolate cake and laughing at the weird things she used to say ("It's smells chocolate-y." "It's so shiny!"). Later, I was sitting at computer, stumped at what to do for dessert the next day, and I remembered Julia's cake, and thought it would be fun to try. And so, six hours later:





Raspberry Chocolate Genoise Cake!









This is a three layered unleavened cake, filled with chocolate creme fraiche and raspberries, topped with whipped cream, covered in a chocolate shell, topped with chocolate ruffles, and dusted with powdered sugar.





I am not going to post the recipe on here because it's just ridiculously complicated, but here's the link to it:





If nothing else, just go to it and listen to Julia talk as she bakes. Totally worth it.





1 comment:

Cindy said...

This looked so good, and WAS so good that it lured me right off of my diet!!!